With so many automatic qualifiers there isn’t room for too many surprises. However, some names that did stand out on the list included:
- Kara Scott: We’re big fans of Kara, but apparently her hostess gig with the WPT carries more weight within the industry than we thought?
- Jamie Gold, Joe Hachem, Greg Raymer: Looks like former WSOP ME champs will continue getting invites for another year.
- Dennis Phillips: Same goes to non-former WSOP ME champs who people think are former WSOP ME champs.
- Annette Obrestad: This is the first big-time televised event she’ll be playing in the States. Expect big things.
- Phil Gordon: He didn’t play last year and doesn’t play much anymore in general.
- Phil Laak: Yeah, he’s running good for the past week, but that doesn’t excuse the past five years.
- Johnny Chan: People still care about him?
The field feels a little light on the celebrity/athlete angle too. Just the usual suspects of Don Cheadle, Jennifer Tilly, Orel Hershiser, and Gabe Kaplan. No Michael Phelps. Not even…dare we say…Trishelle.
Also, Layne Flack did not get an invite back this year. Wonder why.
Go below the fold for the full field listing.
John Paul Kelly
Then 7 online qualifiers